This Blog is a conversation with You about living the philosophies that we all read about. People ask me “how” I do what I do ... This blog is about just that. This is my experience of the ideas that I have heard, been taught and read about over the years I have studied My Self and others. May You step over the pot holes that I have tripped on; learn from my sharing and together we can “live in the world the way we want it to be” to use Ghandi’s words. Enjoy, Share and Grow – Together!

February 21, 2010

The Reality of a Fictional World

Today, as I took quiet time alone to reflect on the many ideas and feelings that the death of our Aunt has raised, another interesting realization arrived, quite unexpectedly.

I was sitting reading a lovely novel of fiction, set in turn of the century London, England.  The characters were in dire poverty, led simple lives, that gradually and rather predictably, began to fill with trauma and loss.

I found myself looking up from this book and realized that I was “taking on” in some ways, some of what I was reading. It was as if I had begun to “experience” what I was reading, instead of simply reading to get away from all that was happening in my house this day.

As I sat looking out the window and being with the remaining impact of what I had just read, I realized that I was “taking on” or “going into” this story a little more deeply than was good for me right now.

As I pondered this, I wondered how that happens and why.  But then, I thought why would it not? Afterall, is a novel of fiction, not just the script of another life? And since I am truly beginning to experience my life as a script of my movie, it all started to gel for me.

As my mind accepted what it read, made real the language and actions of the characters, the book was coming to life. In other times, I would have said what a good book it was because I could truly get “lost” in it; but, not this time. As I have said before, my philosophies of life are really taking root in me and truly changing how I view the world I create and live in.

When I realized how affected I was becoming by what I was reading, the full impact of how my/our surroundings affect us became real.  If I could fall into this book so easily, what else was I being affected by around me and not seeing that affect. Or, to take this another direction, I could use the outside world in a positive and reinforcing way to affect me in positive and creative ways!  Suddenly the world around me was filled with usable tools to affect and create what I felt and saw in each moment.

I am going to work with this more actively now. But, I wanted to write about it today, to draw attention to it.

In Tolle'sdiscussions connected to his book, The New Earth, he speaks about the affect of television watching. I remember him recommending that when you watch television, at every commercial, take the time to look out and away, look out the window and focus on what you see so that you will not be lost in the world the television is creating. I read that, I thought about it and then I forgot it; until today, when I did it!

 I was reading, not watching television, but nevertheless, that is what I did. I looked up, pondered what I was being affected by and pulled myself out of it  as I looked out the window and saw the birds outside and the sun shining. The result was that I came downstairs to write this blog.

We are so fortunate to have the minds and hearts of people like Tolle and others. But, for me, their words only become real when I can experience what they are trying to say to us and today that happened for me!

My view of my world is altered yet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, my name is Donna Somerville and I am a full time spiritual medium and facilitator. What do I facilitate? You! You and your developing awareness of what You love, what fulfills You and how You sabotage Your Self. I do this, and have been learning how to do this since 1988. How do I do this? By having conversations, out loud, with Your Inner Self and recording those conversations so that You can “listen” in. I am a listener. Although people like to call them readings and channeling, I call it “listening”. I believe that my purpose is to, quite literally, become useless to You. My work is to “listen”, and then to show You how to do it for Your Self. I love my life! All of it.The ups and the downs. I feel it is a great privilege and adventure to be alive now, at this time and I want to experience life to the fullest. I am all about experience!